MONTE ET BAISSE fall protection system: for optimal tanker top safety
On the production sites, we find all kinds of road and rail tankers used to transport, handle and store liquid or gaseous fluids or bulk shipments. There are multiple configurations in terms of height, length, design, or even incline depending on whether it is a Jumbo, small carrier, ISO container, etc. However, the problem remains the same in all cases. What is the best way of ensuring the safety of the operator or driver who must gain access to the top of these very different tankers in order to work at height? How can the risk of falling be minimised as much as possible? Pacquet Solutions d'Empotage has designed and developed a gangway that works on a simple and innovative operating principle using a combination of movements that positions a temporary safety cage (length to be defined) very close to the tanker once the vehicle is in position.
UP/DOWN, TILT AND IN/OUT MOVEMENT OF THE SAFETY CAGE OF THE FALL PROTECTION SYSTEM SO THAT IT CAN BE PLACED AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO THE TANKER
From a control panel located on the platform, the operator adjusts the position of the temporary safety cage according to the height and incline of the tanker using push buttons. This marks out and closes off the work area before the worker has even climbed onto the top of the tanker. The working area is adjusted using the following combination of movements of the temporary safety cage of the Monte et Baisse® fall protection system: up/down, incline and in/out (3rd axis, optional 400 mm of travel).
By adding a 3rd axis, the cage can also be moved away from or closer to the support structure in order to fully close off the working area. You end up with a fall protection system that covers the tanker regardless of its height, length, incline and the different elements built into it. This is how you can create a highly secure area on the top of a tanker. Once the Monte et Baisse® fall protection system has been positioned as close as possible to the top of the tanker, your operator or driver can work in complete safety.
THE LOAD-BEARING STRUCTURE OF THE FALL PROTECTION SYSTEM
The independent load-bearing structure of the Monte & Baisse® fall protection system can be adapted to your existing installation without adding mechanical stresses to the metal structures in place. For a new installation, the supporting structure of the fall protection system is designed according to a standard protocol. What's more, the facility is quick to assemble and can quickly be made operational during commissioning.
TEMPORARY SAFETY CAGE
Given that it is made of aluminium, the temporary safety cage of the Monte et Baisse® fall protection system is light and very mobile. The length can be adjusted according to the required safe area on the tanker and is adjustable on request from 4 to 12 metres.
ACCESS GATE TO THE FALL PROTECTION SYSTEM
The access gate is connected to the pneumatic actuator. As soon as the gate is open, the safety cage cannot be raised. An operator cannot therefore raise the cage while another operator is performing tasks on the top of the tanker. This keeps the secure area safe throughout the intervention.
Remotely controlled retractable sliding barriers
The sliding barriers of the Monte et Baisse® fall protection system have a single purpose: adjusting and closing the perimeter needed by the operator to work on the top of the tanker by sliding it along the length of the cage.
Pacquet's latest development in the area of removable barriers: the adjustment of the retractable sliding barriers is now done by remote control. The operator no longer has to move around the tanker top to position the barriers.
The removable sliding barriers of the Monte & Baisse® fall protection system are now controlled remotely from the gangway itself.
The operator no longer has to get inside the temporary safety cage once it is positioned on the tanker top in order to adjust the location of the sliding barriers, as previously.
- No more need to handle the barriers while moving along the top of the tanker: the operator has an excellent field of vision when moving about without having to worry about correctly adjusting the sliding barriers: there is nothing to hinder the movements of the operator, including trip hazards
- An even more secure working area: the sliding barriers, once locked and lowered, come into direct contact with the tanker. The gaps have now been completely blocked
- Equipment that can be adapted to the Monte & Baisse® solutions already installed on site: the new remotely controlled sliding barriers can be quickly added to your existing systems!
- An innovation that meets the standards of the new tankers in circulation: once positioned along the length of the safety cage above the manhole hatches, which can be at different heights, the barriers are lowered pneumatically to secure the work area.
RESULT: A WORK AREA THAT CAN BE ADJUSTED REMOTELY, MINIMISING THE RISK OF FALLING AND IMPROVING SAFETY FOR EVERYONE.
MULTIPLE CONFIGURATIONS TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS
- A wide variety of options available (movement of the temporary safety cage, retractable step, automatic locking in the up/down position)
- Versions that are freestanding, hanging or integrated into the customer process
- Monte et Baisse® fall protection system alone, added to an existing installation
- Access gangway integrated into a single or double access system
- Complete single or double loading system with the Monte et Baisse® fall protection system and Pacquet's tanker top loading arm (up to 4 per station)